Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Birth of Trinity


 Trinity Avalyn
According to the National Center for Health Statistics, There are 4.1 child births a second around the world. That would amount to about two-hundred and forty-five babies every sixty seconds! If you count to ten, that’s about forty babies world wide each time. These statistics are astounding and surprising. On October 8th 2009 it was Tera and my-self turn at having that joyous occasion.
            That early morning as it is clear in my mind was great. As I awoke lying next to the mother of my child was just an invigorating feeling. Tera would always wake up with the smile of a saint. Her long jet black hair and red highlights just illuminated her appearance. At the same time I knew not to cross her because she can put on a face meaner than Mike Tyson on ear days. Her stature was no bigger than four feet eleven inches. At nine moths pregnant she was full of more hormones than Barry Bonds. Her attitude and demeanor was the size of Goliath. Maybe it was her nerves because she had a doctor appointment at 10am that morning.
Outside the Florida weather was perfect as it always is in the sunshine state. The morning dew  still covered over the grass and condensation consumed all the cars in the parking lot of our apartment complex. We both knew at that time are little newborn was arriving any day. As I light up my Newport I understood I had to quit. Tera would stand right across from me disgusted by the fumes emanating from the cigarette. She would give the look that would freeze even Cleopatra. We all have seen the early morning infomercials ads on the dangers of inhaling toxins. I understood why her facial expressions had to be intense with me; her stare would feel like I was melting. Every time I endangered my body I got the look of death.
Later that morning as clear as a pregnancy manual would dictate, Tera was feeling cramps and indigestion. No big deal, I thought, the doctor appointment was just minutes away. Trinity would arrive in a couple more days I told her. She gathered her vital essentials, purse, keys, Starbucks vanilla coffee, and was on her way for a check up. As a concerned proud father that I was it was more than worry that shivered down my spine. As if I was carrying for nine months, I began to start circling and pacing the house back and forth. I could feel the static start to build up on the carpet as I scurried about nervously. I had a feeling that something wasn’t right. Why hasn’t she called me or even text me! It feels like almost an hour and a half went by and no phone call. I could start my own electric company by the time I was done pacing.
Finally, my phone went off. I couldn’t have answered the call any faster. Tera also couldn’t have spoken anymore nervously and fast. She said “I told the doctor I had fluid come out! He said it might just be urine. They checked my blood pressure it was high and I was having slight contractions! I need to go to the hospital right now for testing”. I replied “Slight contractions, Oh boy!” Here we go I thought?  It might be time for Trinity’s arrival.
As worried as my partner was throughout the pregnancy, Trinity’s bags were packed two weeks before her last appointment. As I looked at realize the mounds of luggage I had to load it felt like I was going in a cross country vacation. Two huge cases of clothes packed neatly and in order from newborn to two months, a diaper bag which was over filled with a mix of bibs, cloths and toys. While Tera drove to the hospital I could only imagine the speed she had traveled to get there. I felt like I was on a crazy Japanese game show as I rush in and out the apartment. First load- packed in car, second load done, third load packed. Great! The sweat on my body had already soaked my undershirt. The sweat on my hands fumbled the keys around as I tried to start the car.
The hospital trip was a dread. Cape Coral hospital Yuk! If I had only heard good things about the hospital facility I would be fine. The building looked like it could have been built in the late forties. The outside exterior had its pale white and blue colors on the building. It could definitely use an upgrade in appearance. I just couldn’t envision a good rest at this place. It wasn’t exactly the Ritz Hotel or Health Park hospital for that matter. As I pulled into the parking lot. Of course- the parking lot was full. The huge pot holes weren’t easy on my car.Another thought ran through my head- "My mechanic is going to love my next visit". "Who would come here?"" My goodness how many people are giving birth today?" It’s fully loaded.
Inside the hospital was the usual desolate scene of quietness, followed by an aroma of coffee and disinfectant. Her room was located on the west side of the second floor just a couple feet away from the nurses break area. I can definitely say I was not in the right state of mind. I was a wreck lugging bags around the second floor of the building. Room 214 I will always remember because it took me three or four go around before I found it. I still don’t understand how I missed the room number it had bright green sign with jumbo lettering. To my surprise the hospital room seemed comfortable. It’s Not like something you would see on sitcom but it was at least worth the two star rating I would have given them if they had comment cards. The size was medium at best with the familiar hospital decor, 13 inch TV on a swivel that was fastened to a bright pink dresser draw that was filled with hospital goodies, flowered drapes like at grandma house, two couches one against the window and one next to the tall hospital bed. The couches looked appealing until you sat down on them. I debated whether the floor would be better suited for me.
At this time the nurses had already started the Pitocin to calm down the contractions that were coming about every thirty seconds. Pitocin must be a wonder drug it affects started immediately. Tera was in a heightened calm state as long as she had her hand on the button to feed her body more of the wonder drug. I can understand why her body was in complete pain she was ready to give birth two days ago. A couple more hours passed by, and at 3pm she was 4cm dilated. At 5pm she was 5cm dilated. Six o’clock passes by then seven o’clock .Wow still at 5cm dilation. The nurses rushing in and out to check on her were wonderful at least while dealing with a woman in this situation. They felt the brunt of the effects as they tried to help her to the bath room. The bed that was too high off the ground for a pregnant woman especially one who stand 4’11 has a catheter and is on Pitocin. A little after 7:30 the nurses tried different positions to get here to dilate further, to all our surprise no luck. The nurses told us the doctor would have to make a decision. If she doesn’t progress further, a c section would be performed. Tera immediately stated” HELL NO! I thought "Everything was going according to plans. You guys are crazy! If you think I want a caesarian section done.”The tone in her voice came louder than a rifle shot.
At fifteen minutes to nine that night exhausted and tired we were being prepared for the C section birth. Tera laid worriedly stretched across the hospital bed as they rolled her into the room which must have been the most sterilized place in the building. The procedure itself was something to see, I was excited for Tera. There must have been four or five surgeons in the room ready to deliver our baby, all who were wearing sterilized gloves and clothing. Tera stared at my eyes with the look of joy as our child would arrive any minute. I was standing up grasping Tera’s hand and trying at the same time to catch a glimpse of the operation. At 9:08 Trinity’s arrival into this world began. Trinity’s size was six pounds four ounces. She had a head full of black hair and she had the loudest ear piercing cry and pale bluish skin. Her eyes which looked glazed over were barely able to open to see her first day in this world.
Think about this fact 14,698 births occur every hour. Imagine that! The birth of a child is an incredible rush of emotions. It will change your demeanor and view of life itself, guaranteed. What has changed for me is my maturity and attitude the day she was written into existence for that I thank her and will love her until infinity. For Tera and myself, Trinity has been everything we could want in a child including a smile that High-Jacks everyone’s attention. She is someone so extravagant, precious and priceless who value has no price and cannot be sold. When a child is born unsuppressed love and affection should await them as they enter an unfamiliar world.

No comments:

Post a Comment